Sunday, March 27, 2011

Humility vs. Humble Brags

A quick picture of what I just saw:

This is why we put the baby gate at the top of the stairs...

Anyway, if you're a fan of NCIS Los Angeles, then you've probably heard of "humble brags." If not, let me enlighten you. A humble brag is something you complain about, but it actually is a compliment to yourself. An example of this would be, "I hate going to the gym because all the guys there stare at me and pick up on me." You are complaining about the gym, but complimenting yourself on being attractive at the same time. Why am I blogging about this? Because I feel like a lot of blogs are full of humble brags. I've had a hard time maintaining a blog because of this. I don't want to come across bragging about my wonderful family and everything we do and have, but I want to be able to keep family and friends updated on our lives. I feel I am walking a fine line. Where's the happy medium? I'm not sure, but I can tell you what the opposite end of the spectrum is- just plain humble. Let me illustrate:

Ava's prayers are one of the sweetest experiences I have been a part of. She still can't say them all by herself, but to hear her little voice saying a prayer is just a joy. I'm so grateful for a little girl who reminds me each day how to be a better and more humble person. I may be a work in progress, but at least I never have to question her love for me. That's the most humbling knowledge of all.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

I think we all need to 'brag' about ourselves a little bit. So don't feel bad. Thanks for all the updates, Beckham is such a cutie. Miss you!

Stefanie said...

I'm glad for the updates lately!! And don't worry about it - I don't think you brag in a bad way :) We love to see your kids and what you guys are up to...at least I do :)